1. Make careful selections. If you have intolerances pay attention to the descriptions on the menu. When ordering home delivered meals it is a great idea to read the labels of the ingredients used. A reputable company will list all the components of the ingredients used on the label. If you have allergies and intolerances you can improve your chances of getting high quality food by making wise choices about what to eat and what to order.
2. Meals labelled deep-fried, pan-fried, basted, batter-dipped, breaded, creamy, crispy, scalloped, Alfredo, are usually high in calories, unhealthy fats or sodium. It can be difficult these days to get healthy wholesome food when ordering home delivered meals, but if you do your research you will find organisations such as Tender Loving Cuisine providing quality meals that are low in salt, vegetarian, gluten free, suitable for people with Diabetes and heart healthy choices.
3. Look before you leap - check out the supplier?s website. Many large home delivery companies post nutritional information on their websites. These lists are often confusing in their detail but if you frequently order from a commercial company, you may be amazed by the calories, saturated fats and sodium you are consuming. Finding satisfying substitutes is more than worth the time and effort in research.
4. "Undress" your food. When choosing, be aware of calorie and fat-packed dressings, spreads, cheeses, sour creams, etc.
5. Don't be afraid to special order. Many menu items would be healthy if it weren't for the way they were sauced or dressed. A dedicated organisation will take the time with you on the phone to help you order what?s right for you.
6. Watch your salt. To preserve foods most companies tend to be very high in sodium, a major contributor to high blood pressure. Look for an organisation that has won awards for its low salt, fat and sugar content. Don?t add more salt at the table.
7. Is it Nutritious or made for weight loss? As we age we can?t afford to lose weight. It is more important to build the muscles, brain and bones, as well as look after the heart and bowel function so that we are at our optimum health. The way we do this is through our food mostly, so even though cooking might be something we do less and less, if we have a healthy home delivery meal service option it can take some of the stress away from worrying about what we eat.
8. Remember the big picture ? Think of eating in the context of your whole diet. A variety of wholesome foods including fish and vegetables as well as legumes will provide a balanced diet. Look for the organisation that has over 80 healthy meals to choose from and you will be healthier and never get bored with your food!
9. The award winning delicious home delivery meal service that is available in most of NSW and Victorian areas is: Tender Loving Cuisine Website www.tlc.org.au Freecall 1800 801 200.
Copyright, Maria Mitzikis, Nutrition Consultant